Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Quilt, Bind, Handstitch... Repeat!

I have finished quilting the Japanese Ladies!  Huston, We have a problem :0(

Can you see the difference between the first quarter that was quilted...


And the last quarter?

Yup!  Density!  I was doing really well with my "quilting direction plan", but somewhere between the second quarter, and the fourth quarter, it all turned to custard, and my little hill/valley/element quilt pattern became long gentle swoop/element.  I'm not sure how to fix it.  Any ideas?  And don't anyone say unpick... that's a dirty word in my household!

Quilting must continue...


The Butterfly Baby Quilt was the next destined for the needle, and from the beginning I kinda had the idea of quilting three petal shapes through each of the wing areas.  After doing the top wings... I just started doing something different in the bottom section.  Sometimes quilting is like that.

Remember this quilting pattern from last time, where I used the double leaf element as part of the Japanese Ladies vine?  This time I used the tear drop shape with the scallop echo to fill the lower wing area.

Why no, it's not exactly the same, but in the general vicinity.  The one thing I don't like about this particular quilt book is that although the designs are described as continuous... sometimes it's hard to work out exactly how you continue the design.



40wt Madeira Polyneon 1606 - I have had this thread forever!  It's pretty without being too pastel.
I've done 6 of the 12 butterflies now, so tomorrow I should be able to finish the rest of the butterflies and work on a filler for the background.  After putting off getting comfortable with meandering for almost 10 whole years of quilting, I'm finding that it is just so suitable for these utility type of quilts.  

In other news...

I've cut the binding strips for the Japanese ladies...


I've cut the strips, sewed and pressed the binding for the Reunion Playground quilt...


Visual reminder!

AND I bought a couple of dress patterns... and fabric... and interfacing... and knit needles...


This is SERIOUS!  Now which comes first?  The binding or the clothes?  My holidays are rapidly disappearing...

3 comments:

Leeanne said...

You could go back & add some more leafy vines, just start on an area that is more open then the rest.
The butterflies are great, I use madeira poly neon often, that variegated one is one in my collection too.
Mmmm clothes or binding, looks like the dress is summery, so that could wait, how a bit of knitting & binding!

Susan said...

What can you finish up first? There's the answer to what you do next? No suggestions on the Japanese Dolls- I'd like to see the whole quilt to see the differences across the top!

Cille said...

I wish I could help with the Japanese Dolls, but your quilting skills exceeds mine by far, so I'm sure you'll find a good solution. I agree about unpicking though... Bad, bad word ;) As to what comes first? Quilting of course!