Saturday, January 17, 2015

Holiday Mode... Stories and Spirals

I thought that this week might be the one.  The one where I returned to myself. But in fact, I've found myself disappearing once again into the fantasy world of fiction.  I have achieved some of my holiday goals... a trip to the doctors for a decent checkup has resulted in a follow up for blood tests and x-rays next week.  We've also visited skate parks, the nearest indoor pools (which has a story all into itself) and had a wee fabric and thread shopping expedition.  So I think I am slowly returning.  Just not quite yet.

The thread purchases meant that I had no reason to get my teeth into quilting the boy quilt.  So after sandwiching it all this morning, I've started with green spirals.  No pebbles this time... just spirals.



I've come to the conclusion that success with spirals depend on two things - starting your spiral with a curve from the beginning... not a straight line with a bend on it.  The second being that every spiral should start with the same amount of curliness.  This is my standard... a curve with a bend.


Once you've followed that curve and bend back to the starting place, you will have already created quite a significant spiral shape.  See, you didn't need to go around, and around, and around.

This design, which is one of Angela Walters go to designs... next travels along the edge that the stitching butts up to (whether it's the edge of the quilt, another spiral or another design element), and creates an echo of the outer spiral.


Then it's time to start a new spiral, travel a little way along the previous spiral (you can also travel along the edge) and start a new spiral, again starting with a curve from the beginning and making the same amount of curliness as you started off with.


Echo back to the beginning, travel then create an outer echo...


Travel to start a new spiral.  Keep going until your space is all filled up.


Ideally all the spirals would be identical sizes, with identical echoing etc etc.  But we're not robots here are we??  Even drawing it has it's draw backs, as you can see.  Sometimes you have a bit more space, and other times not so much.  It does actually look better to have a bit of variety in the spirals - but too much variety and it starts to look messy.  Sticking with the two rules above will help to keep your spirals in order.  Also resist the temptation to do an extra echo - even when you really want to get onto the other side of the design.  Don't do it.  It just looks messy. 

So what have I been reading this time?  Well, finished the KGI series by Maya Banks.  Enjoyed every one of the books, except the one about Donovan which was just corny.  Read Shadow Woman by Linda Howard.  Which reminded me of another one of her books I've read in the past, so decided to revisit Death Angel by her also.  Still like it.  Next up is Whiskey Beach by Nora Roberts.  Loved it.  Got full on goosebumps right at the end - when the significance of the last few lines registered in my brain.  Excellent.

Right, more sewing and reading to do...

2 comments:

Leeanne said...

Sounds like a restful holiday. Interesting thoughts on spirals.

Marlene said...

Your green spirals are looking great. I have a tendency to do a straight line with a bend on it rather than the curve. Angela's teaching is great and has certainly improved my execution of them. I like them to be different sizes rather than all the same though-just personal choice.