Thursday, May 14, 2020

The joy of a scrappy BOM

I often find that a simple BOM style of project is a good way to rip into my monthly goals.  The Cloudy Day Sampler by Happy Cloud Creations is 9 different pieced blocks with nine patch cornerstones... large and simple and I'm only committing to one block each month, even though I could easily sew the whole thing in one month if i set my mind to it.

I've made it slightly more challenging by making it a scrap challenge, and seem to have fallen into an alternating setting of orange/yellow blocks and blue/green blocks with black and white highlights.

Block 1

Block 2



Block 3


Block 4


With block 5 falling in the middle I decided it was my only chance to add some extra colour in there... So figured a purple block would be just the ticket.  I also took the opportunity to add a multicolour print to the centre as it helps to "make sense" of the other colours used throughout the blocks.


This black feature print is a leftover piece of Dylan's book bag fabric from when he was 5... he'll be 17 this year... so the moral of the story is to keep everything forever because it might just be perfect.

And how things are looking overall... the Irish chain pattern definitely looks stronger in the photo... it's a bit more vague in real life and I think this could change depending on what fabric I use for the background sashing.


And my other scrap challenge project is slowly growing... although still tiny.


4 comments:

Susan said...

The Cloudy Day sampler is coming along beautifully Suz. I like the idea of a contrasting centre block!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

The irish chain inbetween your blocks is definitly a winner, look forward to seeing what you do use for the backgrounds!

Raewyn said...

This is going to be really pretty - the centre block gives it a little extra zing - looking forward to seeing this one grow.

dq said...

This quilt is so me! I love that you are using a variety of background (scrappy) fabrics. It is so beautiful! Doing it as a BOM works for me too!