Saturday, June 6, 2020

Wild and wet start to June... Starburst Cross Quilt

June has started with a wet and wintery beginning... a change from the drought conditions during summer and the still hot and somewhat humid autumn.

Wet does not entice me to enter my sewing shed, which is in a separate building to my house.  But today I disappeared into my ME space (which is long overdue a clean and sortout), pulling out an old project and making some final decisions regarding it.

My Starburst Cross Quilt has sat in a pile of blocks for years... and years.  It is made from fat quarters... each pair of FQ makes two blocks with opposite colour placements.  I started with a bundle of 18 FQ, part of a range plus some coordinates which I added to allowing the creation of 25 blocks to make a 5x5 layout.

Upon laying the blocks out I discovered the three different yellows I'd used clashed... and the two blocks of each fabric meant there were only two red blocks... where 3 blocks would create a more pleasing balance.

This one?  Hmmm, no... too many heavy looking fabrics in the top right.


Hmmm... still not happy.


Finally I came up with this layout.  Bonus was it used all the blocks I'd made, even though I thought they didn't all go together (particularly the yellows).  The florals are spread out evenly... as are the soft greeny/blues.  Although I realised after there is a strong dark stripe down the right hand side... I am determined it shall be sewn together.


On the one hand I am quite cross with myself... these fabrics are so delicious, I feel like I haven't showcased them due to the pattern choice... and/or using too many similar fabrics and clashing yellows.




On the other hand I am just glad to finally be sewing this one together.  I think I have missed the One Monthly Goal link up, but this is my chosen goal for this month.

5 comments:

Leeanne said...

It's good you got out to your 'play station' for some pondering and creative time.

Kleine Vingers said...

It is hard to see the colours in the picture but I think that once finished the lovely fabrics can be enjoyed and the quilt loved

Susan said...

I agree that patterns that use the reverse of fabrics to make two blocks can be difficult to play with!I know it is probably too late now but I wonder if thin sashing and red cornerstones may have helped? There's probably a market for an app that helps sort this type of pattern out. Do you know a mathematician who could help us? We might make our fortune!!!!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

It's looking great! And it'll feel good to get this done & dusted!

dq said...

Hello Suz. I thought all the layouts looked good. I think we are always the most critical of our own projects. Perhaps the reason it was not finished years earlier was because it just didn't give you those quilty goosebumps we love. I think when you get it all finished you will forget about the distress it brought you and just love it!