Sunday, June 23, 2019

One finish... one start

Patchwork City is now a finished top!  After more months than i really want to admit to, the final seams were sewn... including borders... And now it just needs to wait for its turn in the quilting line.


I made the final border slightly smaller than pattern so the whole quilt is around 86 inches square.

This little dot was totally unplanned but is probably my favouritest thing!


This pattern and the solids bundle I worked with really pushed my limits on colours I am comfortable working with.



It also stretched my piecing abilities with heaps of different construction ideas and various different angles. Not necessarily my favourite, but a great learning experience.





Getting block 25 done was a mission in itself... but getting the last few quilt seams sewn was easy due to getting the bulk of the construction finished earlier in the year and keeping up to date with piecing each row as the blocks were finished.

Ok, now onto the new quilt.  I saw a mystery BOM on instagram run by The Red Boot Quilt Company called This Little Piggy and fell in love with the cute farm animal shapes.


Some fun fabrics for the piggies...


The blocks are large at 17 inches including the frame.  Makes the applique relatively quick and painless.



I think I'll use this striped fabric for the binding.


And partial construction of the centre block... took me a long time to narrow down the fabrics.  The blanket stitch will help differentiate their skintone from the background and highlight them holding hands.


This quilt is destined for grandchildren in Australia (two little girls which explains the girls on the block)... although I have warned that the finishing of this quilt may well not happen until after Xmas.

4 comments:

Susan said...

Grandchildren? Australia? Tell me more?? That is going to be a super cute quilt Suz!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

They are supe cute farm animals! And you 'patchwork city' quilt top is amazing, lots of constructionwork going on there!

Raewyn said...

Wow, finishing Patchwork City is an amazing feat and sounds like a real challenge with the angles and so on - but I can't believe you make it a little Smaller than the pattern??!! Did I read right! I've been collecting those Red Boot Co blocks too and got quite excited when I saw that you were working on it! It's looking great so far :-)

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Congratulations on finishing the patchwork on Patchwork City. It is an amazing feat and looks fabulous. The farm quilt is so cute! You have chosen such wonderful fabric for each of the pieces!