Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Rounding off October

 I seemed to spend most of the last week of October cutting scraps... finding and auditioning more scraps and then cutting more scraps!

It's really starting to take shape now and I think I have a handle on how the colours need to be placed without laying out the entire quilt... so I've started piecing a few blocks and will lay it out again when there are a few more completed units.  It is quite the process!


In Granny Square news... I've laid out my 14 blocks to see if I could find a pleasing arrangement.  I added some plain floral squares to make 16 blocks... a 4 x 4 layout.


But then couldn't decide if I liked the florals in the corners or the centre?


Having them in the centre helps to spread the blocks around a bit more... and I don't know if my head can cope with another round of block sudoku but I'm also thinking that putting them in the middle is quite disruptive to the flow... so might go back to the original layout.

My husband keeps reminding me that there are new grandbabies due next year and that I had better get cracking...

I chose some soft purples but he wasn't so keen on these for a baby quilt.  The pile grew into this beautiful bundle so I think I'm going to HAVE to make myself something from it.  I'm thinking big moody Ohio Stars... next year...


And last up, the fabrics that met the approved baby quilt list... some lovely bright but not too bright primary colours and a simple baby quilt layout (pattern from Cluck Cluck Sew).  There are twelve log cabin-style  blocks so not too much more to sew.



3 comments:

Debbie said...

Baby quilts...yes! Love the soft purples you put together.

Susan said...

I have baby quilt plans too! But I'm using blues and browns for a new baby boy! The scrappy stars are looking great!

Raewyn said...

Always lots of lovely playing with fabrics going on in your world Suzanne! It looks like the baby quilt should grow pretty quickly - nice choice of fabrics although I liked your mix in the previous photo too :-) Beautiful colours in your Granny Squares.