Sunday, March 13, 2022

Stuff going on in the shed

 The March #apqresolution project was to finish piecing the Brightly quilt.

When I last worked on this, I had several sections pieced into chunks, and had started laying out some pieces to fill the gaps - but then someone needed the pull out bed and I labelled all the bits and tucked it away.

Turns out I needed to sew eight more blocks which didn't take all that long to piece.


This was where the fabric selection started getting tricky - I had run out of many of the scraps used previously and the ones I did have left were already used in critical places - time to bring in some new fabrics while still trying to make them look like they fit.  Good luck with that one πŸ™„

Progress...


Then the last few seams to put it all together.


Scraps in all their sparkly scrappiness 🀩


As always, getting to this stage of the process leads to thinking about quilting strategies.  There are some nice negative spaces which would lead themselves to some interesting FMQ opportunities but I'm undecided whether I want to invest that much effort.

There is always some time to choose new fabrics for a block.  The rainbow block colour for this month is pink - even though technically it's not in the rainbow 🌈.  I'm always surprised by the volume of pink fabric I have - I absolutely hate pink but as the mother of a previously pink loving daughter it had become a necessary evil.


I also purchased some fabrics from Rainbow Stash - look, they have prints too!  A bundle and some randoms, I am slowly building up my love volume stash but who can go past a luscious floral.  I have seen the Cluck Cluck Sew Diagonal Seam tape before, and took the opportunity to buy some from a NZ business.  It has made all the difference in keeping my seam allowance constant with my new sewing machine so I heartily recommend it.


On Instagram I am keeping up with the creative prompts with Amy's creative side... The prompt for your first quilt meaning a little photo session with this cot quilt.


Not bad for a first time of everything 😘.

Finishing my March challenge means I can now jump into all the other March projects.

4 comments:

Raewyn said...

I love that sparkly star quilt and well done for making the imposter scraps fit with the rest! That's a great effort for a first quilt - and it has survived the years, even better :-)

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Your Brightly quilt is looking great! Will you quilt it yourself? And that's a pretty 'first' quilt, looks like its survived all the loving quite well.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Your 'brightly' quilt is looking great! Full of scrappy delight.

Quayquilter said...

What an impressive first quilt. Both your projects are delightful.