Monday, August 27, 2018

Another week of August!

*Gasp* does this mean I might actually get the rest of my To Do list finished??

For some reason I feel like I have a bonus week.  Another week of odd moments of sewing, plus a sewing day at my favourite shop The Country Yard, and I have managed to get the RSC Orange block completed...

And I *accidentally* did another months worth of blocks in the Timeless Traditions BOM, with the 12" block...

And the two 6" blocks...

Just quietly, I seem to be addicted to these blocks and I'm thinking that this project could easily push all the other projects to the side.

This weekend I even managed to get my sleepout/sewing space vacuumed and the bathroom floor cleaned and four loads of washing done!  What a bonus.  All that is left on my list now is to do the black outlines on three Backyard Birds blocks, and complete the hand quilting on seven crosses (Cross Tiles)... very do-able if I don't get distracted.

In a bit of an aside... I am currently trialing the "Flatter" solution which you spray on your block before ironing... to make the seams flatter.  After a few test sprays, I am thinking that it does actually work and they do seem to sit flatter!  Which is just really totally weird, but if it works... I figure go with it!

Saturday, August 18, 2018

Additions to the To Do List...

Earlier in the month, I wrote up my new months To Do List, adding some cleaning jobs to attend to in the sewing shed... and a brand new project... to make up for it :0)

Before I could even contemplate starting that shiny new project, I promised myself that I really needed to get some of those jobs crossed off first.  So after cleaning off the sofa, I have been spending odd little bits of time getting the Month 6 of the Homespun Magazine Tilda fabric BOM finished. 

I really enjoyed this block as it has the perfect amount of simple applique and piecing... although some of those pieces were a bit smaller than I totally enjoyed.   This little saw tooth star was 4 1/2" - a bit fiddley especially with that linen background.

This has also been the first block that I made major fabric substitutions as there were a whole heap of fabrics in the lineup and I felt it was a bit unnecessary to have SO MANY and I was happy to choose some fabrics that gave a bit more contrast.  It is still very floral... and floral on top of floral... but at least the piecing is now visible.

So today was the day to have a look at the first months requirements for my new project!  The Timeless Tradition BOM by Bits n Pieces.  To be honest the cover design leaves a lot to be desired, however I had seen it made up in another colourway and loved the crisp colours against a plain background, the combination of pieced and appliqued blocks... and the neat setting.

The pattern comes with a few different variations, including different sizes, and applique levels.  No surprise that I'm going for the 90x90 version with applique elements in the corners.

Remember this assortment of stash fabrics?  All loosely chosen to match with the floral fabric on the right.  I chose a Bella Solid - Feather - for the plain background; it picks up the neutral tones in the floral although is slightly lighter and will look crisp and lovely against the mixture of coloured fabrics.

The hardest part of the day was choosing fabrics to make the first 12" block from.  It was just my luck that the only block that I really didn't like the look of was the first one!  So I decided to choose the most beautiful combination of fabrics.

And my block turned out beautiful!  I think choosing a mid toned fabric for the odd stripe element in the corners has helped with the overall look of the block.

There were also two 6" blocks to make this month... so I chose a green block...

And a red/orange one.

My accomplishments for the day... very happy!

I am loving returning to quite traditional patchwork designs... just updated a little with some fun fabric choices.  Don't know if I can wait until next month to do some more on this project.

Monday, August 6, 2018

July monthly goals

Each month seems to roll around quicker and quicker.  August is going to turn in December real quick!  Determined to get the last few items crossed off my July To Do List... it has been a busy few weekends.

The Tilda BOM components came together into a cute block.

And with four blocks completed, I can start to see how it is going to look together.  And it is going to look FINE!

Although completed was a little bit of an overstatement, as I still had quite a bit of the blanket stitch to do on Month Three.

But I finally got all these little bits completed over the weekend.  Woohoo!  So satisfying!

And the Red RSC block was another late contender, but these blocks are so straightforward, that once the pieces are cut out, it is just a pleasure to put together.

I got most of the pieces fused for the Backyard Birds red block - but managed to lose the beak and eye fusible shapes.  He looks a bit weird without these bits.

Yes, another little task that got finished off on the weekend.  Much better.  Placement of the eyes and beak are the most important part of this process.  It somehow makes the pieces become a bird.  Here I have also shown the dot fabric that I have been using to cut the eyes from, which sneakily gives a lot of life and a bit of a glint to their eyes.  A great fabric that has been in the stash for EVER, and has been well worth holding onto all these years.  You never know when something is going to be a perfect match.