Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Not another BAG! Almost as good as a bought one

I had downloaded a market bag pattern from the BurdaStyle website and have been contemplating it for several weeks now.  Finally on Saturday, it all came together and I used some of that stash of mine that had no purpose, and have now after the finishing touches to the binding today, ended up with a great little, well, not so little, bag.


As I had 1/2 yard lengths, I needed to join the pieces to be able to cut the full size pattern, and used the join line as a sort of feature.  What I think is really neat about this pattern, and could be used on any other bag is the little pocket inside which allows you to stuff the whole bag away, and can be carried neatly contained in your handbag.  I admit I do pretty well at taking my reuseable grocery bags with me when I go shopping - but only at the supermarket.  If I call in anywhere else - I still get those annoying plastic bags, or alternatively end up having to carry awkward little things because the shop doesn't supply bags any more.  Now I will have no excuse.  And it is a pretty big bag. Big enough that the handles fit comfortably over your shoulder.  I chose to make a bias trim to face the handle edges, and next time I will make the pocket a bit bigger and I'd probably make the inside of the pocket more attractive and durable looking, perhaps with the bias binding. 

Just a simple folded pocket which is sewn into the side seam inside
the bag, with the wrong side of the pocket showing.

When it is turned through, the pocket ends up right side out,
with the bag tucked up inside it - a bit of a squeeze,
but it does almost fit!
I'm not sure if there is enough time to make some for Xmas presents - but what a good idea that would have been if I'd thought of it about 3 months ago.

No comments: