I've been playing with different design ideas for the two cot quilts that I have been asked to make. It is a hard task to make quilts for prospective parents, when you don't really know them, so decided to stick with simple and modern. I bought a charm pack of Hubba Hubba by Me and My Sister Designs - randomly thinking that it would be a good range for a kids quilt. I pulled out the three black designs, because they just didn't work for this purpose, and separated out the more boyish looking designs (blue, green and aqua geometrics) from the more girly pinks, purples and florals.
OK, what to do with them?
I've had a chevron design kicking around in my head since making my Hometown Wagon Wheels back.
And where I realise that I don't think I actually have a photo of the back of this quilt completely finished, but here is a progress shot - and I added a cream strip to the cream side, and a grey strip to the grey side, making it look like a patterned chevron between two different coloured solids.
Right, back to the baby quilt.
A bit of design work on my grid paper... I always saw this zigzag running vertically off centre...
It took a while but I figured that by rotating the chevron stripe so it ran side to side meant that the top and bottom strips could once again be cut from a single width of fabric, and I'd only need 10 charm squares - back on track again.
A bit of a mock up on the design wall... finished size 40 x 48".
I went for a green mottle and a navy dot. Practical and blokey... although my hubby is not keen, and thinks there is too much dark blue.
|This is the more accurate colouring...|
I needed 1 x 28.5" strip of navy (trimmed to 40.5" wide), and 1 x 5" strip for the navy triangle units.
From the green I needed 1 x 12.5" strip (trimmed to 40.5" wide), and 1 x 5" strip for the green triangle units.
Simple, go on... I know you have some leftover charm squares just itching to be used!
From my charm pack I had 32 charms left to create something magic for the girl quilt. I had heaps of ideas, but in the end went with something very simple, and ordered another matching charm pack because of course, that one charm pack was never going to be enough.
I'm just making triangles and scattering the designs and colours across a 9 x 11 simple grid. It will have all the spaces filled in with triangles (although I did think about making an asymmetrical arrangement but wasn't happy with how it started to look).
I hope to frame this with a plain 2" border, making it finished size 40 x 48". Perfect.
I am all ready for Xmas this year... so no wrapping gifts on Xmas Eve like usual. I hope you all have a wonderful time with family and friends... and receive something nice under the tree. Merry Xmas!