Sunday, June 9, 2019

Loosely Woven - a finished quilt!

The evening's over the last week have been spent hand stitching down binding.  I am not the quickest at hand stitching, and I find I am only able to sew relatively small sections before my hands get sore.  So I was really pleased last night to sew the final section of Loosely Woven to complete the mammoth task of binding.


Just to recap, the quilting plan was feathers in the striped columns, and interlocking boxes in the plain squares and border.

The backing fabric is a beige wide back, and I used a beige Seralene bobbin fill which blended nicely.


A narrow binding and label to finish it off.  As you can see, the quilting has great texture.  This interlocking boxes design is going to reappear on my Patchwork City quilt when I get to that stage (still a few more seams and backing decisions to make yet).


And some beautiful Aurifil threads to complement.  The FMQ does gobble through the thread!


This quilt was started in December 2018 after a couple of test blocks made in November.  Christmas holidays were mostly spent with piecing and I finished the top in late January 2019.  I had thread delays which resulted in about 8 weeks down time... so all in all, not bad progress (for me anyway). 

This quilt was commissioned so I will be very happy to hand it over to its new owner tomorrow, and get my sewing machine set up for blanket stitch again.

2 comments:

Susan said...

You must be so relieved to have finished this quilt Suz! It looks like a big one! Now you have a chance to enjoy some of your own projects and get other things ticked off your list!

Raewyn said...

I bet the new owner loves it! Well done on the beautiful finish. Yes, I did enjoy seeing it in the flesh - that is a lot of quilting!!