Sunday, September 15, 2019

Meadowland

My Meadowland journey started when I succumbed to the thrill of the sew along...  back in March.

I fell in love with this cute hedgehog fat quarter  (thanks Susan 😉) and created a broad selection of fabrics to pull out those gorgeous colours... light and dark neutrals and some fun pops of colour.




Now, months after the sew along finished I have still been plugging away making blocks.  Originally I intended to sew 25 blocks which made a 80 inch square quilt.  Sewing block number 20 has made me realise that I'm not 100% in love with this quilt... although I'm not entirely sure why.  I still love this palette... and maybe a layout that followed the progression of colours as opposed to sprinkling all of the colours all round would have looked better.  The benefit of hindsight 😎

Anyway, I had always in the back of my mind wondered whether I would add sashing to this quilt, really just as a way of aiding the construction process.  Laying out the blocks yesterday, I contemplated how things would look laid out in columns with a wide vertical sashing... a 5 x 4 layout with sashing and borders to make up the difference in size.  Not too shabby!


One of my loves about the original quilt is the way the blocks kind of blend into each other.  You definitely lose this aspect by adding sashing (although you gain a cool secondary pattern when you add cornerstones), but the vertical only sashing still gives a similar impression, but without it being totally all over the place. Another bonus of the sashing is that it doesn't matter how you press!

A bit more of a play around with the colour dispersal... the blacks in particular needed to be evenly spaced, but also the apricots, blues, and really just about all of the fabrics needed to be spread around.


These two greens on the same row were the least of my worries... and signalled it was time to just start sewing these babies together.



The first column has been sewn already so onwards and upwards.

4 comments:

Leeanne said...

Good going, the hedgehog fabric is special!

Susan said...

Sometimes no matter how many times we arrange and rearrange blocks, there is always one that doesn’t want to play with those around it! So you are right to just to go ahead and sew! I think it’s a lovely quilt Suz. Maybe you will fall in love with it when it quilted?

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

It's looking great! I do love the peachy-pink in with it all too!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Such a great colorway for all of these blocks, and I too like how they blend together.