Saturday, October 12, 2019

Where one thing leads to another

I started these school holidays with a real cleaning and reorganising whirlwind.  Part of this was moving furniture in my lounge, and shifting my craft bookcase from a hallway to prime location centre stage in the lounge.


Having the books so accessible has encouraged me to pick one up now and then and browse.  One of those books was this one, Utility Style by Sharon Holland.


And although i can't admit to remembering this particular quilt, this time it really stood out.  And ideal quilt for Dylan... interesting, bold, traditional and a little bit quirky.


My pet peeve about quilt books is not showing a full shot of the finished quilt, although a diagram is better than nothing... I suppose.  The second partial picture is at the end of the book illustrating the quilting instructional section.



And these are the fabrics I have narrowed down for it.  I am not 100% confident that i have the correct quantities needed... but I am confident I can make it work.


My design wall had become overcrowded with projects which was starting to stall progress on multiple projects.


Firstly I laid the timeless traditions quilt back on the design floor because it really has just got too big to manage on the wall, and I feel like I need to see all of it to make applique fabric decisions.  This project keeps getting passed over on my To Do List so I am hopeful that this will aid in getting some more done on it.


Moving the log cabin blocks for the moment means I can work on This Little Piggie and the Bursting Star pattern without too many problems.  These look so pretty together.


I cleared some items off the wall space next to my sewing area, and set up a smaller secondary design wall - just some batting pinned up to the Hessian board a bit over 1m square.  Woohoo.  I think I'll start laying out the beginning of Dylan's quilt here.


And that's about it.  My two weeks of supposed holiday means 7 of those days spent at work, and one day with the car at the garage.  Let's just say I'm not looking forward to going back to work on Monday.  Not surprisingly, I also haven't finished the cleaning and reorganising...

3 comments:

Susan said...

I have that very book too Suz! I must have another peruse because I think there was one in there that I wanted to do! But looking at your log cabin has made me reconsider making one of those too! And I agree about books not showing complete shots of each quilt too! SO frustrating!

Debbie said...

Run out of space on the design wall...make a second design wall...perfect!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

All of the quilts on the design wall are so pretty - I hope you keep going on them. How wonderful you have space for a second design wall!