Saturday, October 16, 2021

Amsterdam Star WIP

 Sometimes it just needs one thing to make you look at an old WIP in a new light and before you know it you have it all pulled out and back on the cutting table.

I recently bought a new quilt pattern, and inspired by it's on point layout thought about some of the projects that have been tucked away for way too long, and realized that my Amsterdam Star blocks project (of which I had sewn 4 of 9 blocks) would work perfectly in a similar setting.  Bonus, I would have less blocks to sew.

Photographic evidence seems to suggest I was last working on this around March 2014 and when I got to the end of the pieces I had cut out, the whole lot got put away.  Right, I found my handwritten notes and away I went.  Well first it took a while to work out what my notes meant 😂😂


Fours blocks...


Became five and I drafted a half block



Mid weekend progress... I've got two half blocks pieced and two half blocks cut.  This is the basic layout.


The pattern used as inspiration has background triangles in the corners but I might see if I have enough fabric to piece corner blocks.  Time will tell.  More fabric needs to be purchased for sashing and inner borders.

I still really like the inspiration pattern and will one day make the original design.  But it's also been satisfying to work on an older project which I still love (and rue ever putting aside 🙈).

4 comments:

Susan said...

You’ve made great progress on this quilt Suz! You should be very pleased! It looks fabulous!

Quiltsmiles said...

This project looks stunning. Can’t wait to see how you go from here. Keep at it as im sure it’s going to be stunning with this teaser you’ve shared so far.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Looks amazing, love it on point!

dq said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS blocks Suz!!!!! I love the colors too. I don't know why we all put something away and find new excitement in it when we put effort into working on it again.