Saturday, December 4, 2021

Just a little bit

 I haven't really been doing much sewing... Xmas activities have started already and the tin shed I sew in has started to achieve height of summer temperatures (not a good mix with hot flushes!!).

However I did manage to finish the Amsterdam Star quilt top.  It's either bigger than I thought or our new clothes line is lower...


A close up of the wonderful bird print.  I had bought 2.5m with the intention of cutting the borders along the length... It worked well with a generous 10" wide strip.


And I found enough bits and pieces to make up a pieced backing.  Cunning plan: when I bought the feature fabric on special I also ordered coordinating background, fat quarters and backing that were all on special too... It turned out that I didn't use the fat quarters that were chosen (they coordinated but were quite heavy in appearance) but this turned out to be the most cost effective purchase.

I haven't gotten any further with this project but at least I know what the next step is (I just can't face it at the moment 😞).

Needing a small quick and easy little something something I pulled out all my star blocks so far for The Scrappy Star Quilt Adventure.


I though I'd try laying it out alternating the 12" blocks with the smaller blocks so that I wouldn't need to do sashing.  I don't like it!  Plus I would need a 7x7 layout so that the corners match.

Then I made a few of the stars for the months I was behind with.



Then I tried laying the blocks out again with space for sashing and making the placements more random.  This was always my intention and I'm glad that I like this layout much better!  And i can go back to a 6x6 layout so less blocks to sew... Yay!


Still a few more months to collect and sew (the joys of a BOM) but definitely making progress.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Sometimes sewing just feels like a chore! But it is lovely to see all your WIPs especially all those lovely stars!

Raewyn said...

Hopefully we have some cooler days soon so you can sew in comfort! Your Amsterdam Star is beautiful - the white and cream backgrounds work well, and the grey is just right! Great to see your scrappy stars too!