Monday, May 23, 2016

Baby Steps and Getting Back on the Pony

OK, so that is one mixed metaphor... but I knew that getting back into a routine, any routine, would mean finding a system that wasn't too big, too hard, too cold, too hot or too annoying.  So after doing some hard thinking, I decided Tuesday and Thursday afternoons would be my new thing.  Maybe FMQ on Tuesday and regular sewing on Thursday.  One hour each day, between 4 and 5pm.  Last week was my first try, and I'm happy to report - it worked out pretty well.

It has been ages since I've done any real FMQ work.  So pulling out my constellation quilt and getting back into the swirl quilting was funky at best.  I thought I would have problems maintaining stitch length from that lack of practice, but actually, the problem was achieving smooth curves/spirals. 

For anyone who has problems with their stitch length, I think your problem is probably with keeping your speed even on your foot pedal.  If you can reduce your speed on your machine to half, you will find that you can operate with the foot pedal fully depressed... so there is less variation.  You can control your movements better, and get pretty smooth stitch length too.  Anyway, I digress: We have Progress People!


On Thursday, I finished off my own version of the little Cross block


And put it on the design wall to make friends...


Monika's version of the block is different again...


But has no problems making friends...


It wasn't until after that I realized that the two blocks are on the same row, only one block separating them, so I'm going to have to do some reorganization.  Typical!

And on a positive note, I'm looking forward to doing some more FMQ tomorrow.

3 comments:

Leeanne said...

good to see and hear you are getting 'baby-steps-pony-rides' back!! Good advice about even stitch length, I think once you have got the hang of it, you can have a break away and come back and pick up where you left off, a bit like riding a bike.......or was that a pony? :-)

Raewyn said...

The blocks are looking good Suzanne....very fresh and pretty. Good luck with your routines, I'm trying to re-establish mine too! (And remember the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time!)(How's that for another metaphor type thingy!)

Charlotte Scott said...

Are you using little squares of grippy instead of gloves to FMQ? How do you find that? I'd be worried I'd sew them in accidentally. Guess I don't know till I try.
Like the red in Monika's block - kind of raspberry if the colours are reading correctly.
Good to hear your baby pony is eating elephants again ;-)