Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Alert! Alert! Quilt Finish!

Super excited last week to finish the binding on my Sugar Club Sampler quilt, and get the makers label attached over the weekend.


Then it kinda rained and was gross... but today the sun is shining... the grass is dry and my kids agreed to hold it up for me!


I was trying to work out why this photo had a blue band across the top... its the sky!  Duh!  And today has been truly beautiful.

This quilt started life back in June 2014 as part of a BOM run by Amy Gibson from Stitchery Dickory Dock, and I used my stash of Bonnie & Camille fabrics with Bella solid 'Feather' and a beige Moda crossweave.

The 12 blocks morphed into a 9 block setting with this interesting half square triangle frame arrangement.  The blocks upsize from their original 12 inches, to a massive 30 inch with these additional frames.  Combined with sashing this resulted in a quilt close to 100 inches square.



I made the decision to have this long arm quilted by Leeanne from Quilt Me Kiwi.  She did a wonderful edge to edge design.


I also experimented with a flange binding using a mix of leftover fabrics, but instead of machine stitching along the flange, I used a large running stitch and 12 weight thread.  It is a subtle feature but I really like it.

Interestingly both children were wondering if it was there's!  So maybe not a totally feminine quilt 😄



6 comments:

Susan said...

It's not a specifically feminine quilt so it's no surprise that both your children want it! Maybe you will have to make another one...:-)) What a wonderful finish Suz! You must be very proud of it! Can you hear me clapping from here?!!!

Raewyn said...

It was great to see this in person the other day - congratulations on the finish!!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A gorgeous quilt! Love the colours, the sashings and Leeanne's quilting!

Lynette said...

I love this finish. :D Beautiful low volume quilt. Your framing for the blocks is really creative!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

What a beautiful finish! And how wonderful the blue sky came to see it!

dq said...

Wow Suz! It is truly a nice big size. I bet you had to curl up with a movie or two to bind it. It is done in very refreshing colors. I love the big blocks.