Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Modern Applique Quilt... quilting take two

Some quilts you know exactly how you are going to quilt them from early on, and that is exactly how it was with my Modern Applique Quilt (Buggy Barn Blooms blocks).  Vertical lines on the grey side... horizontal lines on the patterned side.

Unfortunately there were a heap of other things that caused hold ups in the process... deciding to hand quilt being one of them.  Fast forward several years... then the decision to unpick the hand quilting that was started and remove the backing fabric.

Back to an unfinished top I contemplated whether to make it bigger as it comes in under 80 inches and I felt it was too small to be useful, but it resisted all attempts to construct borders!

Then I considered whether to make a pieced backing... but that wasn't really happening either... so new backing fabric was purchased and sewn to size and the whole thing rebasted...

A nice mid blue chevron for the back...


And a small star/floral  (from stash) for the binding.




And the first few rows of machine quilting on the grey side... walking foot echoes.


Walking foot quilting is still a struggle for me, but with practice I am slowly getting better.  It is still a bit uneven and I struggle with pivoting in the right place, but "it will do Pig... it will do!"

4 comments:

Debbie said...

I had a sense of deja vu when I was reading your blog! I have ripped out quilting stitches to change a border fabric. Tedious but I felt so much better. There is a reason projects age before they are completed! Looking forward to seeing it finished...those applique blocks looks so gorgeous.

Raewyn said...

Oh such a decision to unpick quilting and re-baste even - but better than living with a finish that you cant live with.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I tend to avoid unpicking but I am sure this quilt will move along faster now that you have. Looks great so far!

dq said...

Good on you for undoing something you didn't like. The changes are beautiful. I just love the fabrics in the back, binding, and certainly the blocks.