Saturday, November 16, 2019

Hawthorn quilt... for Dylan. A finished top.

Last weekend my daughter organised a bunch of friends to come stay the night... with adventures planned for Saturday.  Nothing like a deadline to get a quilt top sewn together quick smart!  Because Dylan's quilt was laid out on the floor... in the sleep out... which was where the girls were going to camp out!

I managed to get all the blocks sewn by Thursday, and the three rows sewn into rows by Friday.  That was okay to move temporarily while the sleepover occurred... then Saturday and Sunday was finishing up the between rows sashing and getting it all sewn together into a finished top.





What really appeals to me about this quilt is that there is 6 colours.  Limited to my stash... I needed to be a bit creative.  None of my navy fabrics were large enough for the fabric requirements... these two prints were technically enough... but adding the solid navy just took the whole scheme up another level.


I was surprised how well this aqua solid matched the feature fabric.  Is it the same?  Probably not identical under forensic examination but certainly close enough for this quilter.


And you can see how these fabrics just worked with the overall scheme. 

Again... there wasn't enough stash of either of these greys but together they are so similar that they are almost interchangeable.  I decided to keep the same fabrics in the same blocks however.


And it all coming together.  In the end I treated the orange print, the feature graphic print and the fish print as one fabric grouping - "the accent pops".  The other categories were the light greys, the aqua solid, the navy's, the yellow print and the mid grey solid for the background.  Full disclosure, I did need to piece off cuts of the fat quarters used to make some of the units.



I love these large blocks - 24" and the modern setting and fabric placements.  However I am also keen to play with both the size (a half scale would make a cute baby quilt with 12" blocks) and have a play with a mixed low volume background and maybe some scrappy rainbow blocks.  Lots to play with and individualise.

I am currently auditioning possible backing fabric mixes... and wishing I kept a larger stock of wide backs in my stash (but also recognising that they would never be the right colour or size 😆)


Meanwhile I am moving onto the next item on my list!

3 comments:

Susan said...

It’s great to get to flimsy stage, isn’t it Suz! Good luck with finding a suitable backing !

Leeanne said...

Flimsy winner! I hope you find the perfect backing.

Raewyn said...

Wow, so busy!! Dylan's quilt looks great!