Saturday, June 20, 2020

All the things... little by little

Sometimes just choosing the easy block makes for some quick and simple sewing.  The next 12" block in the Summer Sampler 2017 series... Plaid Star.



Joining the sew-along for Sugar Bowl Crafts scrap blocks during lockdown... I may be the slowest participant ever... finally my two blue blocks have been joined by a purple one and you can kind of start to see the finished effect of those lovely variations of depth of colour.


This purple block has a few fabrics from the second ever quilt I started (and did eventually finish)... so many memories!


My goal for this month was to get a few more rows sewn together on The Proverbial Quilt.  I managed to get all but the last row of text attached!  It is such a cherry project... especially on gnarly rainy days like today.  AND I managed to cut out the rest of the strips!  So close!


I made some progress on my Starburst Cross Quilt.  I had always intended to attach plain borders.  I was so glad that my organisation skills from all those years ago meant I had the rest of the fabrics, leftover backing and the half completed final block all in the same box!  After finishing that last block and sewing together the top, it reinforced the fact that a 5 x 5 layout of 12" blocks makes a pretty petite 60" quilt!  Adding 4" borders still wouldn't add enough area, so 8" borders were on the agenda.  I realised that this matched the size of the centre star... and new star cornerstones were created... allowing me to showcase that troublesome red print in a third location.


Finally balance... and while I had initially thought those large plain borders might need a bit of applique to busy them up... the plainness has grown on me.


YAY... a finished top!


The sixth block for the Happy Cloud Sampler was another simple sew...

And I've slowly been adding a variety of black and white prints to the design wall for the background sashing.


I've still got plenty to keep me busy for the last part of the month... fingers crossed that as many goals as possible can get ticked off.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

You have been so busy! As I read through your blog I just kept loving each new project. Great job balancing that red with the border in your Starburst Cross kit. And the simple Happy Cloud Sampler...something about nine patches always makes me happy and the mix with four patches...I like it!

Susan said...

Wow, you are powering through your projects Suz! You are on a roll, and everything looks great!