Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Already the middle of July

With just a blink we are already half way through the month.  My July goals are very much a continuation of a theme...

Another scrappy Cloudy Day Sampler block

Another Summer Sampler 2017 block...



Quilting had been progressing throughout the month and I'm now hand sewing binding on this Double Nine Patch scrap baby quilt.




Two charm packs of Bonnie & Camille fabric are part of a "she'll be right" experiment where I'm going to chop it all up and hope for the best.


Keeping with the pre cut and Bonnie & Camille theme I purchased a layer cake of At Home fabric and spent a couple of weeks trolling through pattern possibilities.  I finally decided on a giant granny square layout that needs 4 x 5" squares of three different fabrics for each block.  I struggle to get my head around precision cutting and piecing layer cakes... they tend to just have so much variety in their sizes... that I like to keep it as simple as possible but something that allows the fabric combinations to shine.

First step was to sort the layer cake into subsets of 3 fabrics with good contrasts and clip with my wonder clips.  Sometimes this is the hardest part!


Then the three fabrics are sliced into 5" squares and the background fabrics cut... creating a 19" finished block.





I am just loving how this is turning out.

Still to come for my goals is Line Dried section 5, appliquing the next section of Timeless Traditions, basting Nadias quilt, sewing a skirt and getting some more Sweet Escape blocks sewn.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I agree, I love where that last one is going! The big flowery print reminds me of a Densye Schmidt floral!