Thursday, October 8, 2020

The tale of Three Borders...

 There are times when the crafting magic just happens...

On a roll from the successes of September I just turned the page and wrote out a new list for October and got stuck right in.  With Sweet Escape still laying on the design floor, it made sense to get the next four blocks done.


This will finish at 80 x 80"...


Then, although it was super tempting to make some more blocks I put it all away and unpacked Timeless Traditions, because really... this is the EPIC goal challenge for the month.

The 2nd half still needed the last few chunks to be pieced together, and I added the top and bottom cream borders to the half sections before joining them in the middle seam.  Much procrastinating had happened up to this stage 😆... I really hate sewing together these large pieced sections.


I had already auditioned my inner accent border options...
Green spot...

Cream text...

Beige bubble print...

And realised that I only liked the green spot... duh!  This decision has been  floating around in my head for months... and for a change was so simple to make.

With the borders to go on, I used the "sew the thing to the thing" method... having sewn the cream border strip to top and bottom of the quilt top... I then sewed the cream border sides to the green dot sides... before adding these new side units onto the sides of the quilt top.


It may seem like a strange variation to get excited about but it is so much easier to manage two border strips together, than wrangling the whole quilt top for all four sides of multiple borders... round and round the machine.

The next step was to add the top and bottom green border to the top and bottom floral border strip... .



then those get added to the quilt top and finally the side floral borders are added last...

And finally... after around two years of off and on progress... we have a finished top!  90 x 90"... it's a stunner.


I love the layout of the pattern... and the colours are all tied back to the floral border.

Beavering away in the background is another Giant Granny square...


And section 7 of the Line Dried quilt.  I have chosen the fabrics for section 8 so will be ready to crack into this next.







3 comments:

Susan said...

You’re right- the Timelss Treasures quilt is stunning! Congratulations on a beautiful finish!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Timeless is beautiful! I'm so glad you got those borders on there. Now you just need to get it quilted, happy stitching!

Rebecca Grace said...

That Timeless Treasures quilt is going to be a treasure, indeed. It is staggeringly beautiful! Not sure what you mean about the “sew the thing to the thing” method, though. Aren’t we always sewing one thing to another thing? I feel like I missed something there. Good luck with your projects!