Monday, February 8, 2021

It's all about BALANCE

 The beginning of February saw the start of a new challenge - work on WIP's only for 50 days. It's not that long... I can do it... I think :o)

January saw the start of a few new projects... the Winterberries sewalong from the last post, and the Flea Market Flowers applique quilt along... This is a project by Lori Holt and to follow the instructions you need her templates/ruler (which I don't have)... so I am using the general block layouts and using flower and leaf designs from a different book.  Progress so far

At which point I ran out of fusible web so currently waiting for more to turn up in the post.

Despite the distractions I have been focusing on the Stitch Pink 2020 sampler blocks this month and this has resulted in a finished quilt top!

I added plain sashing with cornerstones to the 12" blocks, a plain border, then a gingham border, then a thin black border, and then... a wider border using a stash floral which is a perfect match to the block colours!  A win for the stash!

The border floral was always a bit difficult to use... the grey a bit too brown for other projects and the lighter flowers were always either too white or too cream.  They are just perfect this time!!


I have also finished the quilting on one of the baby quilts under construction... and got the binding machine stitched on... now to just hand sew it on the back.


I have committed (in my head if nowhere else) to a group sewalong of the Elizabeth Hartman quilt Aviatrix Medallion.  This is a project I had purchased a kit and pattern... about 4 or so years ago (maybe longer) - then I used some of the materials to make the Patchwork City quilt... and even though this quilt is not technically started as at 1.2.21 - I am going to allow myself to start it when the sewalong starts on Valentines Day.  My reasoning is that I've had it for so long it doesn't really count... and it's a difficult start, so I really need the power of group support to get the first few rounds sorted out.  Once it's started, I am quite happy to just plod along with the simpler and larger rounds of blocks.

What goals do you have for this year?



2 comments:

Susan said...

50 days hey? That is a challenge Suz! Although the way I’m going at the moment, that wouldn’t be difficult. I guess the Aviatrix Medallion has be started in your head many times in the last four years, so I’ll give you that one. March 22nd- the end of your 50 day challenge! Good luck!

dq said...

Your finish looks done to perfection. YOu do very nice work.