Tuesday, September 18, 2012

It's all in the details

Now you see it...
 
A couple of photos of the half finished My Tweets block.  I just wanted to highlight how much difference the blanket stitch makes to the final look.  I use a polyester bobbin fill as the top and bottom thread (probably not something you would read in the instruction manual) with a stitch setting of 2.5w x 2.0l - the thin thread suits a slightly closer stitch length.

Now you don't.

Back again!
Also, a photo of Janet with the quilt top in her grips. 


This is an older style Handi-quilter frame - yeah, I'd like to have a long arm to play with, but like that third sewing machine, it's not going to happen.  This gives me some of the technique, without the price tag.  Although it's not without its problems.  Because the rails had been cut - I now have joins...


you know what joins in your rails means???  Really bad wiggly bits.  Worse than just the normal wiggly bits.


 Also some issues with thread building up on the pause points - I must pause slightly longer than suits the speed I'm running at.  All things improve with practice... or at least I hope they do :0)


This quilt is from this book

 

2 comments:

Raewyn said...

The blanket stitch suits your Tweets well, doesn't it - it's going to be such a beautiful quilt! Nice to see Janet all trussed up - I guess you got to hold your breath and sit tight when you get to those joins?

Leeanne said...

Is there anyway to get new runners, so you don't have joins?