Sunday, September 16, 2012

What have I been up to? Do you really want to know?

I've spent a couple of days doing a bit of sewing, a bit of housework, a bit of laundry and a bit of gardening.  A great way to get things done without feeling like my entire weekend has been spent doing mundane chores.


I've been piecing together the vertical rows of the handbag/vase layer cake quilt.  I am going to put a narrow sashing on this (due to the fact that the blocks don't line up - but don't tell anyone), and I also need to do the blanket stitch around the fusible applique flowers - two sewing machines are not enough - I really need three.  But as that is unlikely to happen (without winning Lotto) I need to organise my jobs to make the most of the sewing machine that is available.  So this will need to go on the waiting list.

I put an oldish quilt top into my Janet frame a few weeks ago and it's just sort of sat there (I don't think I even have a photo of this one, so its probably pre-blog).  Last weekend I set up the Brother machine all ready to do some FMQ with Janet.  This time I chose a more complicated pantograph pattern in the hope that it would hide some of the imperfections that were a bit too obvious in the simple pattern I used for my first quilt.  But it does take quite a while to complete each row - so I'm just slowly plodding my way along... trying to get a row done every few days.  Once Janet has released my Brother from its clutches, it can get back into the blanket stitch jobs that will be lining up... the flower blocks and the My Tweets block which is only half done.

I've also been plodding my way through the half pieced Swoon block that has also been sitting on the design wall for quite some time.  Yay... they're starting to look... cohesive.



Laid out like this, there are more completed blocks than empty spaces... I can almost see the end!  I can also evaluate what colours I would like to include in the remaining blocks.

I've also got three round blocks completed... no photos... but I need to order more fabric - so this one is now on hold.

Whew, it's been a busy weekend!

4 comments:

Susan said...

I agree on balancing out the chores with some sewing fun! Your handbag/vases quilt is looking great!

Charlotte Scott said...

Loving the swoon quilt. Looks great when you start laying it out like that, I love seeing quilts develop to each new stage.

And of course we want a work in progress shot of the quilt on Janet please!

Raewyn said...

Sounds like you have struck a good balance this weekend achieving bits of plenty (or plenty of bits?!) Aren't your swoon blocks looking great? - it really is a nice block. And your vases/handbags, very nice; isn't that how new designs are invented - to correct mishaps and so on?!!

Leeanne said...

Yup, balance is the key.....but from time to time we loose the balance! I had a weekend much the same.
Love the vases & handbags, nice colours, have I already seen that one at one of your show & tells at the shop?
Have fun juggling machines!