Friday, March 12, 2021

Missing in action

 February disappeared in a whoosh of activity and not too many ticks on the monthly goal setting to do list.

I filled in some empty space with some FMQ designs...


Just to recap, I got month 2 of Orbiter done, the Stitch Pink top together, the Hop Skip baby quilt quilted and binding machined on, 9 more Scrappy Lines blocks and I pretty much kept up to date with the Aviatrix and Flea market flowers sew alongs.  Finally, I got the Transire quilt basted probably on the very last day!  Plenty didn't get a look in and I need to remember next year that February is a short month.

My March goals included finishing off the Hop Skip binding... DONE and before I can do my final check off marks on my huge list of everything... it needs to be officially blogged!

Are these giraffes on the back not the cutest?


A wiggly quilting design on the blue sections and a square design  on the squares.  It's simple and just works.



All folded up ready for its trip to Australia for a special new grand daughter called Shelby.





The other main project for March has been the beginning of The Aviatrix Medallion, pattern by Elizabeth Hartman and was a popular quiltalong a few years ago.

Part of the reason why I never started this pattern was this centre block and all those little diamonds.  Not my thing!  I combined the solids from the kit with some complementary prints and I'm really happy with the interest and depth it adds.


I managed to get the first section sewn relatively successfully... so it was just a matter of moving onto the next section...


And the next...



Then add the background sections and *hold your breath and cross your fingers* while the sections got pieced into one unit.  DONE!


This may be the most successful centre I have ever done!  




Then the next week was a much simpler construction with a half square triangle border.  Again, I strayed from the pattern instructions and made a much more orderly combination of black and white prints matched with a soft Essex Linen background.



5 comments:

Nico @ bug-and-bee.de said...

I am so happy that you found us and joined the quilt along. And look at you, given that it's not your thing, you made a pretty awesome thing :o))
Nico
@bug-and-be.de

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Your 'Aviatrix Medallion' is looking amazing! That centre block is quite full on piecing-wise!

Suz J said...

Thanks Nico... It has been a very supportive and informative quilt along so far.

Raewyn said...

That really is an awesome centre!! Woot woot. I also love the dark background moving out to the great looking HST border :-)

dq said...

Look at you go Suz!! I just love love love that polka dot binding! The star is also a beauty in so many ways