Saturday, August 28, 2021

Still in Lockdown

 I have been getting some sewing done in small increments in between work activities, but it was nice to have a rainy Saturday that meant no work and little housework.

I got the Patchwork City top basted during the week, and quilting has started.


Just a simple geometric boxy design, with a soft grey Aurifil thread that blends into the background.  It gives lovely texture which really allows the piecing and colours to shine.  I have used a 80% cotton/20% poly batting for this quilt so that is a bit experimental for me.  First impressions are that it doesn't have the same cling that a cotton has, although no problems so far.  Fingers crossed for that to continue.

Quarter completed so far:


I had a long length of this butterfly print which I used for the back, you can see how it picks up the vibrant colours in the top, and is a nice contrast to the straight lines on the front.

Because this only covered the 40" width between selvedges, I added on this turquoise wide back that I had purchased in a really weird measurement that turned out to be a perfect match both colour and size wise.  I'll need to remember this trick again of combining a wide back with a normal width as it really suits quilts that are in that 80 - 90" group that is slightly too wide for two widths of fabric but doesn't utilise the full width of a wide back.


Once the design floor was clear I pulled out my neutral toned Sweet Escape quilt and made some decisions on what fabrics would go where for the last 16 blocks.  As I have limited fabric - placement is getting more interesting 😂


It didn't take long to get two blocks sewn (the bottom two).  I wonder if lockdown will last long enough to get these all pieced?



3 comments:

Raewyn said...

Well done on getting onto the quilting - that quilting pattern suits perfectly. Good trick with the backing too. I love your neutral toned escape quilt; here's hoping you make your fabric stretch ok...

Susan said...

The butterfly backing fabric is gorgeous! I have serious backing envy! Good luck getting Sweet Escape together, given limited supplies. It seems your situation is not improving. Our numbers went up today, but not as much as in NSW!

dq said...

Love love love Patchwork City! The colors are vibrant, and I always love some color with blacks and whites!