Monday, August 23, 2021

Woohoo! Orbiter is all in one piece!

 Sometimes it helps to NOT pay too much attention to what you are doing.  Or rather, not pay too much attention to how much is left to sew.  I finally got to the stage where I had just one more jumbo unit to sew... and then started sewing the jumbo blocks together into two patches... before sewing first a four patch, then adding a two patch to make a 6 block unit... then added the last three block row to make a whole completed Orbiter Quilt!!

I feel like I have overshared this quilt and everyone is probably sick of it - I haven't taken a photo of the final quilt top, but it doesn't look all that different from the image above, just without the gaps :o)

August has been the month of the Woven Star block for my The Scrappy Star Block Quilt Adventure.  First a 12" soft grey version:

Then a 9" low volume background with an improv log cabin centre:

Then a 6" block which I have added strips of background to make it measure 12".

And all three blocks together.  This has been a fun block to sew - a nice change from the 9 patch stars.


We are currently in Level 4 lockdown in New Zealand.  So a stay at home order has been issued - and we are only to leave home for essential things such as groceries or pharmacy requirements.  I have my work laptop at home to keep up with activities there - but I have been able to squeeze in a little more sewing than during a normal week.  

With the design floor now clear of the Orbiter Quilt, I have pulled out my Patchwork City quilt to baste.  Problem being that I'm not sure what fabric I intended to use as the backing fabric???  I have spent a couple of hours trawling through my blog posts hoping that I mentioned it - but no, it appears not (although I have enjoyed the trip down memory lane).  I have ticked the box on my recording sheet to indicate that the backing is "ready", but goodness knows what I prepared.  I have since found an alternative - so hopefully will get a chance to get this sewn together and the basting process started this week.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

HaHa...so glad it's not just me that can't remember plans I made for backing fabrics. I started putting tops with backing fabric in the stack of "to be quilted." I love the Orbiter quilt. I'm sure you have plenty of projects...so it's good to have a little extra time to work on them.

Susan said...

Oh, I wonder what happened to that backing fabric? Do you think you have used it on another quilt? I'm glad you've found something, even If it wasn't the original one you had in mind.
I am SO sorry you are back in lockdown again! Your lockdowns are much harder than ours- at least we can get takeaway, although we only do that once a week. How did the virus manage to get it in? Did they identify the index case? Sydney?
To finish on a positive note, I love the Orbiter quilt! It must feel such an achievement to get it finished!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Your 'orbiter' quilt is amazing, lots to look at! And yes, you are not alone misplacing fabrics! I'm writing thoughts & plans down more frequently than ever before! But, then it's the "where did I put that?" question!

Raewyn said...

Your stars look good!