Saturday, May 19, 2012

Slow but steady





Well, still no word from the insurance company about replacement items... so still no new photos to show.  I have just finished my April Swoon Block... mid May!  This was not without its challenges - it was just one of those "how on earth did I manage to sew those two bits together and not notice until now" sort of scenarios.  After multiple unpickings, and multiple sewing something else wrongs... I finished the last seam this morning.  Ahh - the satisfaction of a finished block.
Some imagination required to see this one as actually finished



I have also been slowly zigzagging around my circle shapes... does anyone remember this one?

Well, it got taken along to retreat with me a few weekends ago, and I laid out the circles constructed so far on my solid grey background strip. Although my circles didn't fill the entire space, I quite liked the few open areas... so decided to leave it as it was.  I'm probably about 1/3 of the way through the attaching process, and hopefully will have something more to show... once I've got a camera.

Also at retreat I started piecing half log cabins blocks with my pile of blue/green/mustard Moda Bella solid fat quarters which I purchased quite some time ago from Thousands of bolts, with a few of the Lotta Jansdotter Echo line (the ones I could find in NZ after my order from Fabricworm went missing in transit!) thrown in.  I'm loving the effect - and just need to work out if it will morph into this design I played with several months ago.  Well, that may have even been before Xmas...


I also quilted my first quilt on my new handiquilter frame using the lazer bit on a self made pantograph.  I used a simple figure eight design, similar to that used in many of Denyse Schmidt's quilts... it gives great texture and doesn't fight with the actual piecing.  Anyway, you'll just have to believe me on this one - my binding it attached, and I'm halfway through the handstitching bit.  So looks like Nadia will get it on her bed before winter finishes this year.

Now, do I start my May Swoon? or play with my log cabins?... got to hang washing out first - for a change it is actually sunny!

1 comment:

Leeanne said...

Look like you have been busy. Glad the quilting is going good on the frame.