Friday, August 10, 2012

Aren't quilters great people and any more ideas and my head could quite possibly explode

Firstly, an extra special exciting package arrived yesterday.  No Ms Lottie, not the one from Hancocks, but a special package from a special online friend.  Now, if you pay any attention to my blogroll, you will have read about Suz at Patchwork n Play who lives in Australia.  She very kindly offered to send me her Echo scraps once she'd finished piecing her lovely Echo quilt.  What!  I know!  All I asked was what she intended to do with her scraps (mostly because Echo fabric has been turning up in so many beautiful projects across blogland that she must have had another project up her sleeve) and - next thing, she's offering to send them to me! 


So thank you very much Mrs PnP... delighted to add these to my own scraps, with the intention of making something that looks a bit like this:


Now, I've just borrowed this photo from Cille who blogs at Live Love Quilt (who also appears in my blogroll and she's from Denmark) who made this quilt from a pattern on the Moda Bake Shop website.  I think it's fab, and will really suit all my little bits of Echo.  Isn't it going to be a real United Nations sort of thing?

Have you ever come across Sweetwater's Hometown fabric range?  It's not that new... and has become a bit difficult to find the entire range.  Anyway, I finally found someone semi-local (well, from Australia actually, but that's closer than the US) who had a Layer cake in stock.

Seems I also had some yardage that matches, plus some lovely grey crosshatch
So decisions, decisions on what to do with it.  I wanted something that would highlight the fabrics... so not too many small pieces, and something a bit different...


So now I'm also thinking, something round and maybe appliqued on (although these particular blocks are totally pieced, eek, inset circles).

In case you're wondering, this quilt is from this book, which I really like!

And my flower box outside my studio window is really coming along... won't be long and my bulbs will be flowering.


In other news, I signed up for a quiltalong... mental I know... doing this groovey quilt... no really... The Groove Quilt.

Totally Groovy Quilt Along Giveaway!
Photo borrowed from pileofabric.com
Pattern purchased, trying to work out if you can do it in some sort of scrappy way as I have these orange fat quarters which sort of read as solids??? But to choose the other colours... deep thoughts for another day.







And that's pretty much me for today... well, I did see two monarch butterflies in an intimate moment... have you ever seen butterflies doin' it before?  One didn't appear to be enjoying it, could have been thinking of the queen, although it appeared to be dead... may have to google life cycles of such things... have you been up to anything interesting?

6 comments:

Raewyn said...

Your post title made me smile - I know that feeling well - what a lot of inspiration - where will you start....!!!!!!

Charlotte Scott said...

You crack me up! Hope you had a good day today - sounds like you did. And didya know that tangerine is the colour of the year?

Susan said...

Oh, you are too nice, Suz! I still have a few scraps of my own I am hoarding! I love the Totally Groovy Quilt! There are curves there, have you noticed? !! LOL!

Rona said...

Pretty fabrics! I love circles too. Pieced circles are easy of you do them using the "6 minute circle" technique. I have a demonstration on my blog. I wrote it before I knew that that was what it was called!

Leeanne said...

Nice to have new stuff to play & create with!

Sabrina said...

So much amazing fabric to play with! You are going to have a blast. I almost bought the Groovy pattern but I am scared of the curves. I can't wait to hear how you do with it!