I remember sewing a DKNY Vogue pattern back in the early 90's and it was a curious mixture of simplicity and really clever design elements. It seems that this pattern - V1250 (the red dress on the left) is much the same.
With only three pattern pieces, how hard could it be? On the other hand... check out the shape of these pattern pieces!
|The big one is a front and lower back, the medium one is a top back, and the little one, the back neck facing. The front and back are both cut on the fold.|
Today was finishing day. A bit impulsively I cut 3" off the bottom with my rotary cutter. I intend to wear this to work more as a tunic over long sleeved tops, with dark tights and boots. But I also don't mind the over jeans look for something a bit more casual! I was pulling a really weird face in this one...
So there we go... dress experiment a success. I would definitely consider sewing this dress again... I would quite like to try a patterned version, and maybe a plain rust coloured one. On the clothes sewing front, I also hemmed a pair of pants to match my short legs :0)
As winter looms, temperatures have started to drop. A change in warmth requirements during the month of April meant the Gypsy Bandana sampler quilt got put back on the shelf, and my Buggy Barn wonky log cabin stars quilt got put in it's place.
All it needed was a handle attached, and I wasn't keen on the design offered in the pattern (hence it has sat around for about 3 years). In the end I pieced a few remnants to make the right length, and fitted it at the ends to make a shoulder bag. I'm not 100% in love with it... but I'll see if it grows on me.
While I was doing random sewing, I put together the backing for the Tokyo Subway, and basted it.
And lastly I got the binding for the Japanese ladies machine sewn down. So another technical finish. Just the hand stitching left to do.