Sunday, October 12, 2014

End of Holiday Roundup

Well, as Sunday rolls around, with back to school and work tomorrow; checking through The List, I achieved some of my goals for this holidays.  Woohoo!  Unfortunately I never did catch up with the washing pile - it just seemed to get bigger no matter how quickly I tried to fold it, and the floor got vacuumed several times, but never mopped.  I swapped around my room and cleaned one of the windows... but never quite got everything tidied away or that other window cleaned.  We didn't finish Nadia's room renovations, but I have paint, and will finish the furniture repainting another time.  Perhaps Christmas?

Some of the smaller projects did get finished for her room - after looking all over for a pretty mirror, I ended up painting the ugly orange varnished wood one that she already had - and applied some pretty chipboard 3D scrapbooking stickers to make it pretty.  On the schedule for this afternoon is to get hubby to hang it (I do know my limits).  We also made up a small Kaisercraft chipboard/cardboard drawer unit which I painted and decorated with pretty papers.  This is supposed to be the new home for all her hair ties and clips.


There were a few new things I wanted to buy, and was lucky to find this purple bedside table and funky flower rug... we are getting there!


On the quilting list, I wanted to get the applique border quilted on my Bluebirds and Berries quilt, and the quilt top constructed for the Bunting Baby Quilt.  Woot!  Finished the quilting on the applique border today - and didn't run out of thread!

 When I started quilting, I kinda forgot that the bottom border was wider than the other three borders.  It took forever to get this border half quilted (using the vine as the dividing line) and I really despaired of getting this finished.  But once I got used to weaving in and out of the applique, and changing between the different quilting elements - it sped up heaps, and I could get half a side done in a day.  So pretty much eight days of quilting dedicated to this!


The ruler is there to remind me that the side and top borders are 8" (looks like a quarter inch has been taken up in the quilting)... and the bottom border (shown side on) is 10".  Now I just need to wait for the thread to arrive which I'll use for the narrow dark green border and the outer printed border.


I haven't quite finished the Bunting Quilt construction (would have if I hadn't added the extra applique) - but I've made good progress with getting the applique stems attached.  On the top vine I started on the right hand side and attached one side of the stem all the way around to the other side; then coming back I am up to the black spot almost in the middle.


And I've attached one side of all the stems on the bottom border.


I had another Amy Gibson Sugar Club BOM day, and worked on this lovely block.  Not the easiest to construct - well, more not the easiest to press nicely - there are a few lumpy seams hence the ripple in the photo on the right.  But it is a lovely looking block.


Right, that's me for another week.   Catch you next time...

5 comments:

  1. Wow, looks like you have made great progress on the home front and on the quilting front!! What a pity school and work now have to get in the road. Well done you. (Thread not here yet but will get in the post just as soon as it arrives). Have a great week. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might not have ticked everything off your list, but you've still achieved heaps! Nadia will be loving her mini makeover and Woot! alright on your Bluebirds and Berries - awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eight hours of quilting is a marathon- well done! And I love that Sugar Club block- the red and yellow together is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crikey, throw the list away! You got heaps done! LOVE the BBQ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving those Amy Gibson blocks more with each one. Can't wait to see your blueberries and birdies one all finished.

    ReplyDelete