Tuesday, January 14, 2020

New quilt? Yes, thank you!

The start of a new year isn't complete without starting at least half a dozen different projects.  The fact that this is our schools long summer holidays during which I work casual hours means that often my quilting eyes are bigger than my output capacity!

However, I always manage to convince myself that just one block... or section... per month is perfectly manageable and get stuck into it.

This year I decided to finally use a collection of fabrics I have held dear for years... possibly more than 6... it's been ages.  Anyway, I started with a half yard of a gorgeous bird print from Alexander Henry and a yard cut of a coordinating floral print.



Tucked away in my storage bins was an accumulation of blending fat quarters and odd cuts and metres of background fabric...


... which I rounded out with some newer stash items.  Sometimes your personal taste doesn't change... I love this just as much as I did all those years ago... but could never find a project that i felt would do it justice.


Enter Line Dried... a quilt by Corey Yoder from Coriander Quilts.


Ohio Stars are one of my favourite blocks... especially the standard non variation version...


Big blocks and little blocks...


Precision piecing...



Although there are the odd point's chopped off that im not particularly worried about.


And the first section put together for January.


On a separate note I have taken advantage of the stellar weather and washed a number of quilts.  Love this modern log cabin variation flapping away in the sunshine.


2 comments:

Susan said...

Of course a new year demands a new quilt! I love the pattern you’ve chosen Suz! The fabric is indeed lovely! And who doesn’t love the look of quilts hanging off the washing line. Sadly our air quality is so bad with smoke today that we rate the third worst in the world! I guess I’ll just have to stay in and sew too!

Raewyn said...

A great use for that gorgeous fabric Suzanne :-) I love your start of the year optimism!!