Saturday, January 4, 2020

The Ultimate Beginner Quilt (a sampler)

One of the new projects I have started this year is the Ultimate Beginner Quilt by Fat Quarter Shop.

The instructions give a key and matching Kona solids  (although you can totally choose your own scheme) and I chose to raid the stash and find corresponding prints to match the colours suggested.


If you follow me on instagram you might remember me agonising over colour palettes a few months ago... I finally settled on the following 12 fabrics and chose the multicolored print as the backing fabric... after making the initial selection... total fluke that it matches so well.


So why a beginner quilt as obviously it has been quite a while since I was a beginner? 

Well, a couple of things.  Sometimes it's good to make something simple and refresh on those basic skills.  I wanted to use this opportunity to work with colours that I maybe wouldn't put together... even though I like all the fabrics individually, and I'm quite intrigued by the fact that the blocks have no background... they're all colour baby!

This is block one and yip... it's very simple.  The other thing I want to experiment with is a quilt as you go technique using finishing strips over the seamlines... more to be revealed...


I have always had enormous problems with plain old straight line quilting, and I want to find a technique that allows me to practice this without committing an entire quilt to possible doom.  I have quilted this block by echoing either side of the seamlines.  My husband has a colleague who is expecting a baby due soon so a simple and colourful "low commitment"quilt will be perfect. 

3 comments:

Susan said...

I love the way you think about extending your quilting knowledge and skills Suz! I’ve always wanted to, and thought about QAYG but never felt inclined to commit to it! I think this quilt will be the ideal project to try your skills on! Love, love, love that background fabric you have chosen! Perfect colour match and perfect for a baby!

dq said...

Your fabric choices are PERFECT! I am drooling over them, and from your stash to boot? That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Raewyn said...

Something else to have fun with! It doesn't hurt to get back to basics sometimes :-)