Sunday, November 24, 2013

I was just practicing my accurate 1/4" seam allowance... honest

Because I couldn't wait... and just had to see how it was going to go together, I had a bit of a play with the Seeing Squares pattern, and ended up with a few little blocks :0)

The basic components are large blocks finished at 6", medium blocks finished at 4", small blocks finished at 3" and 2" filler squares.  The trick is how they all go together :0)
  
The cutting requirements are either 2.5" or 1.5" based for the pieced blocks, and there are some plain blocks too - so I can start whizzing through those scraps

Meanwhile the ladies are getting there.  This bit is all pieced together.


Two ladies are still awaiting their makeup... and are holding the whole thing up!  But as you can see, there isn't that much more to do for the top to be finished.  Whoop whoop!


Block 78 did grow up to be a fireman get finished...


And I am totally blaming someone else for the fact that I bought this terrific pattern from Jess @ The Elven Garden yesterday, and have started making a throw size for my still to be hatched niece/nephew.  I've used some of the left over FQ from the Tokyo Subway and am pulling the rest from the stash.  Each stripe of colour uses 6 x 10" squares.  The remaining stripes in the pattern are purple and green - I haven't decided yet whether to throw a pink stripe in just in case it turns out to be a girl.  It all depends what turns up in the stash :0)

Simple but oh so effective!

This is the end of the line as far as the design wall/floor goes... so something has got to get finished.  It's getting serious.  Let's just say I'll have plenty to keep me busy over the Xmas holidays (which are not all that far away).

Hopefully you too have had a productive weekend?

3 comments:

Susan said...

So am I right? You have started TWO (not just one!) new quilts!! Now, what will we do with you? Maybe we could take your sewing machine away while you get your little Japanese dolls finished! Maybe put those Seeing Squares away too....they will be far too tempting to work on!

Charlotte Scott said...

So is your 1/4 inch seam allowance accurate? Can you put the squares project away? Or do you need just a leeetle more practice.....like, a whole quilt top's worth of practice?! And I agree with Patchwork and Play, we might need to stage an intervention if you start any more new projects! (But the chevrons would have been hard to resist, I admit)

Unknown said...

I realize this is off topic but while your blog looks nice, it could be far better if youll be able to use lighter colors too in the design. This will encourage a lot more scaners come to check it out more often!

Cccam Server