Friday, December 6, 2013

So how old is your oldest WIP?

After at least 9 years of hovering in the "technically a WIP" pile - my half log cabin quilt is finally finished.  Fully BOUND and the last block QUILTED.  I say it was technically a WIP as it has been on and off the bed a lot over the last 8 or so years, even though it was never technically finished.





This was the second quilt I ever started, and the quilt where I discovered that I loved fabric... all fabric... and I was determined to include it all into my quilt.  I also learned some life lessons along the way - like if you have a lot of medium fabrics and use them in both the dark and light sides of a high contrast quilt... well, lets just say it limits your layout options - this was originally going to be a radiating star layout :0).  I also learned that vacuuming a quilt with wool batting is just crazy (no matter how many cat hairs you have on it) and quilt as you go is a technique to avoid.  Having said that, it is still a quilt that I love, and still find interesting to look at, even after all those years of being unfinished.

I've also finished Block 84 of the Modern Sampler.  That means only 16 more blocks to go!


My block has one ugly set of fabrics in it...


But I liked the fact that they combined the pink, orange, tan and green of the surrounding blocks.  Not the easiest thing to do with just two fabrics.


One of the organisers of the sew along commented that some of the blocks would make good designs for pieced backings... I believe she may be correct... the start of a back for the Giant Chevron quilt... it does solve the question of what to do with a 1/2m of bug fabric :0)

 

That's about it for this week... enjoy your weekend.

6 comments:

Leeanne said...

Great finish! I like the pieced backing, good way to use up some fabric, so you can buy more!

Susan said...

Well, good for you getting that WIP moved over to the 'done' side of the ledger! You must feel quite relieved to have it finally finished!

Alison V. said...

I am still working on hand quilting the first quilt that I started almost 10 years ago. It's embarassing. I don't like hand quilting, especially queen sized quilts.

Raewyn said...

Congratulations on the progression from wip to finished!!! I think my oldest quilting ufo is my first ever quilt from maybe 10 years ago (I'll have to work it out).... the sampler class I took encouraged us to hand quilt it. I am seriously considering undoing what I've done and putting it under the machine - interesting what fabrics were 'in' back then! Interesting to see how the colours in your modern blocks play with each other.

Charlotte Scott said...

She's right, I see heaps of good ideas for pieced backs - unfortunately I'm usually over it by the time I get to a backing and settle for the strip of fabric or blocks down one side. But I think I'm going to have to up my game.

Lynette said...

Hey, it's nice!!! The mix in your log cabins may have limited the layout options, but the end result is very pleasing. My oldest UFO is from 1992!!!! I'm saving it for the last just to see how many years the span gets to. I'm down to 20 UFOs from 49, so it's getting there - slowly, but surely. . .