Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Where Plan C became Plan D

Plan B had the most obvious problem of not having enough fabric.  Thanks for pointing that out Rona!  I looked at plenty of other options, including adding a contrast border to the bottom but in the end didn't want to stray too far from my original idea - so decided (after receiving much needed support from Monika) to try attaching my 1/4yard length of the same fabric to the bottom.  Yes, pattern matching!  I used the technique Elizabeth Hartman describes in her Modern Pieced Backs Craftsy Class, and am happy to report it worked like a treat. The join almost lines up with the LH corner of the bottom block.


As you can see, a length of grey got added, and the green split between both sides.  I like the balance - the mix of hectic and plain, and the strength the green gives to both sides.  I've got the blocks pinned on, and will handstitch them down once I've finished some of my other hand work.

I'm also thinking about possible backing fabric... the brown??

 
Or the blue??

Plus the eternal question of how to quilt it.

Talking about hand jobs (boom boom) - the hand quilting is roaring along progressing quietly...


From the back...

And the front...


I love the texture.  I've got 3.5 circles which need to be echo quilted.  Then 5 circles need to have the internal petals done.  Two lengths of sashing need to be outlined, then last up, circles done around the cornerstones.  But good progress.

And the last news for today is these three orphan blocks finally have a home, or at least a quilt to call their own.


From Material Obsessions Book One... a little lady:


A wonky-ish house:


And another wonky-ish house.


I started these blocks using leftovers mostly from Nadia's bed quilt made when she was about two.  After making these few blocks, I realised that my idea of scraps was quite different from the books idea of scraps - and that I really didn't have enough pieces big enough.  So they have sat for the last five years doing nothing, occasionally being looked at, and put away again.  It does feel good to get these to a useable state.

Don't you love this birdie print?


 And look, some quilting from the back... those squares again...


FMQ straight lines with curly-wigs in the middle...


A feather up one side...

From the front...


And a still to be stitched on binding... what a busy day it has been!


More things crossed off my to do list.

4 comments:

Susan said...

You HAVE been busy!!!

Leeanne said...

Looking good, I like how you have the solid fabric in the mix. I like the first backing fabric.
Your kids were happy in themselves, so that meant a productive day!

Cille said...

It looks great... I like the balance between the busy part and the calm part. If I didn't know I would think this was your plan A :)

I would go for the brown backing. The blue liks a little too shiny (though it may just be the photo. The brown has enough things happening to not be just plain brown.

todd ikey said...

So much to take in! I love the hand quilting! And I reckon blue!