Monday, July 24, 2017

A little bit of progress

It wasn't that my maths was wrong when I worked out how wide my border needed to be for this orphan block, rather that I neglected to remember that the border would be on both sides... so when I added a border of 2.5" finished... really I increased the measurement by 5" (my border should really have only been 1.25" on each side).  So I went from having 4 butterflies per side, plus the corners with 1/2" strips inbetween... to 5 butterflies per side plus corners with no strips.


On the plus side:
  • I really like the blue inner border, it is almost the exact colour of the blue flowers, but it has a floral print.  
  • I like the width of the sketch black/white border - it gives a nice touch of neutral chill out zone.  
  • And I'm enjoying adding a few extra colours into the mix with the variety of the butterflies.



But I'm not too keen on the heaviness of this border now that they are all jammed up like this, so I think I'm going to go back to 4 butterflies, with a 1" strip inbetween.  Well, it all depends on whether I can find more of this fabric.  We will see what happens, in the meantime, I have more butterflies to sew.

2 comments:

  1. This is lovely! All my favorite spring colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely! All my favorite spring colors.

    ReplyDelete